I was tagged in a game of blogger tagby Turtles & Pearls, and this game is so much fun!
Rules of the Game
1. You must post the rules. 2. Post eleven fun facts about yourself. 3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, and then create eleven new questions to ask the people you've tagged. 4. Tag eleven people and link them on your post. 5. Let them know you've tagged them!
Eleven Facts 1. I am currently in my senior year of college at High Point University and student teaching at a high school.
2. I have the cutest beagle in the world - Honeygirl
3. I love shopping, but don't usually buy something if it's not on sale.
4. I love making things! I've been into art since I was really young. I enjoy crafting, sewing, etc. The best part is looking at something and being able to say, "I made that!!"
5. I tend to worry, overthink things, and analyze situations A WHOLE LOT MORE than I should. When I get that way, I get depressed, and when I get depressed I listen to Christmas music or Elvis. If it's really bad, I listen to Elvis Christmas music ;) haha but between that and prayer, I can usually get out of whatever rut I'm in.
6. I'm AWFUL at making transitions. It takes me forever to get used to change and learn to be happy with it.
7. I just recently acquired a taste for barbecue sauce, and started liking chocolate again after a year long hiatus from sweets, due to a huge cavity in my wisdom tooth!
8. I LOVE going to the movies. The only ones I really enjoy seeing, though, are comedies and kiddie movies. My favorite movies are cheesy romantic comedies.
9. I took dance lessons for 14 years, piano lessons for 8 years, guitar lessons for 3 years, and drum lessons for 3 months.
10. I have a huge appreciation (and longing) for past decades. Old Hollywood fascinates me, 60s and 70s music rocks my world, I want to bring bell bottoms and big skirts back, and I could watch the Brady Bunch all day. Sitcoms are awesome - Full House is my favorite show.
11. I'm always busy...I love being busy. And traveling. I want to have my own jet one day so that I can be more places in a shorter amount of time.
Turtles & Pearls' Questions
1. What is your dream career?
My ultimate DREAMis to be a movie star or talk show host! Right now, my career path is education - I'm student teaching at a high school, and I'd like to be a teacher for a little while at least. I'm not sure what grade level I wanna teach, though. :)
2. What accessory can you not live without?
I could not live without my pearl studs! My collection keeps growing and I have countless pairs in all sizes (and a few different colors)!
3. What qualities do you look for in a significant other? The most attractive thing a guy can do is have a relationship with God. With that being said, I decided a few years ago that I wouldn't date anyone who wasn't on fire for Jesus. I also have to have someone who has a great sense of humor and acts like a big kid (like me). Luckily, I found someone who fits that criteria :)
4. What is one thing that really gets on your nerves? BRAGGING. We are all created equally. We all have different talents and opportunities in life, but that doesn't make one of us better than the other.
5. Why did you start blogging? I started blogging because I LOVE to write, and this blog thing looked like so much fun! I like seeing other girls' fashion ideas, sharing mine, and most of all, I like to share my feelings haha
6. What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday night? Depends on the season, but I tend to go shopping, out to eat with friends or family, or maybe a basketball game in the winter.
7. Do you tend to plan ahead or do you just go with the flow? Well I love to make lists and plan ahead. I really thrive on doing that. I make a list every month of things I want to accomplish that month (not that I always get them done). But I've found that sometimes I have the most fun when I do things spontaneously and go with the flow! (Like Disney World a few weeks ago haha)
8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose? Hmm...well now that I've finally gone to Disney World, I think the next place I really wanna go is Los Angeles. But I definitely want to go to Israel at some point in my life, and recently I've been wanting to visit Africa or Australia. ...That's more than one.
9. Do you color or highlight your hair? I used to only get highlights, but the past few years I've been coloring it. I think I'm killing it :(
10. What is one movie you could watch again and again? Home Alone 2
I'm FINALLY getting around to posting about week four of Christmas. Things have been sooo busy. But it's only January 18th...Christmas was only three and a half weeks ago haha.
Sunday, December 18th -Libby Hill Christmas party!!!
-Christmas shopping and looking up crazy names in baby name books at Barnes & Noble with Ashley, Alex, and Chanelle
Monday, December 19th
-Chanelle and I served lunch at the Open Door Ministries shelter. Such a blessing.
Tuesday, December 20th
-First annual Christmas craft party with my friends!!
bows I made
Ale made a wreath!
watching Ale use her cool monogramming machine
I made an ornament!
-Later, Zach and I went to Kepleys, then headed over to Chanelle's where we made cookies and watched old school Rudolph and Mickey's Christmas Carol with my brother, Katie, and Carmen.
Wednesday, December 21st
-I went over to Brooke's to make my pillowcases for my family for Christmas gifts.
-Later that night, a group of us went to the Tanglewood Festival of Lights in Clemmons, NC- Zach, Chanelle, Alex, Melissa, my sister, Sarum, his daughter Jolina, and me. In addition to the lights, they also had a craft fair set up in the barn on the property. They had the cutest handmade jewelry, scarves, bows, etc. WE LOVE TANGLEWOOD!!!
-After Tanglewood, we ate a late dinner at Denny's in Kernersville.
Thursday, December 22nd
-Went to Granny's and made cookies that night
Friday, December 23rd
-Did some service with Chanelle during the day
-Worked at night
-After work, did some late night shopping with Ashley and Zach at my favorite stores - Target and Belk
-Later, watched Home Alone 2 with Chanelle
Saturday, December 24th
-On Christmas Eve, I worked til 4...
-Then my family went to the Christmas Eve service at church. I love the Christmas Eve service so much, especially lighting the candles and singing at the end. I've always loved that. And seeing everyone dressed in Christmas colors :)
-After the service, we went to my aunt's house just like we've always done.
-We had to take Granny home from my aunt's that night, so we stayed at her house for a little while and played Christmas songs on her old organ. I love playing the organ (I took piano lessons for about 8 years).
-Later that night, Zach and I exchanged gifts. He got me a Vera Bradley in my FAVORITE pattern, and lots of other great stuff.
Sunday, December 25th
-Of course, we unwrapped gifts in the morning. My brother actually went out and picked out gifts for me and my sister, which was a first hahah (he usually just goes with my mom and lets her pick). He got me and my sister some stuff from Bath & Body Works, which of course, I love. Santa brought me some great boots, an HPU sweatshirt, and other stuff. My sister got me some new pearl earrings and a bracelet from the shop at Tanglewood! She's so thoughtful for a 12 year old haha. And she got the American Girl doll she had been wanting so much!!
-Ashley wrote us all the sweetest little cards ^^^^^
-For lunch, we went to Granny's as usual, and ate and unwrapped gifts with my aunt, uncles, and cousins.
-Zach and I went to Sheetz after lunch because they were giving away free cups of coffee :)
-Since we didn't have any dinner plans this year ( :[ ), we just hung out until my mom drove us around to look at lights. We got food from Burger King because it was the only place open haha
Overall, it was a WONDERFUL Christmas, and I decided after this year that I'm going to have a little bit of Christmas everyday, somehow :)
WARNING: This is a sad blog!!!!! (but it does have a happy ending)
Two years ago today, my brother lost one of his best friends. I wrote this to my brother's friends a few days later, and I thought today would be a good day to post it on here. I'm not trying to bring up past heartaches, but rather celebrate and reflect on such a young life. I believe that Matt is smiling down on us in Heaven now, and we should keep his memory alive.
I've always heard the expression "Cheer up, you look like you just lost your best friend."
I never knew what that really looked like until my (not so) little brother came home Sunday night with his eyes all red and puffy from crying harder than he ever had before. It killed me. As his big sister, I've always been protective of him and felt the need to shield him from sadness and sorrow. I didn't know how to handle this situation. I couldn't take away the utter pain, hopelessness or desperation that burdened him. There was nothing I could say or do to make it all better.
The next night, I walked into a house and witnessed the expressions on the faces of a room full of people who had indeed just lost their best friend. A room full of young people with plans and dreams, whose world came to a complete stop the minute they found out that they wouldn't get to see their dear friend here on Earth anymore. It was unfathomable, yet very real.
Only seventeen years old and about to graduate in June. It's easy to ask "Why? Why him??" But we can't do that. God has a plan, and even though it's difficult to see or understand right now, one day we will.
I didn't know Matt as well as Michael or Macy or any of you did, but I do know that whenever I was around him, he was always so laid back and calm and always smiling. He also laughed at all my jokes and witty retorts, which is always a plus in my book. He was meek and humble and cared a great deal about his friends and family. I'll be forever grateful for the time he was here to be a companion to my brother. True friends are hard to come by, so he was certainly special.
I know the next few months - and even years - are gonna be hard for y'all. Graduation is going to be difficult. Thinking about it just tears me up. But you gotta hang in there. Matt made his journey "beyond the shores" a lot earlier than most people do, but he still left a huge impact. The sweet memories you have of him will make it possible for him to live on in your hearts. So will songs like "I Go Back" and "Small Town USA." It touches me to see all of y'all sticking together and leaning on each other for support. It's amazing how one little life could impact the lives of so many others.
I have no doubt that Matt is with his Creator, looking down on us and smiling. Take comfort in knowing we haven't seen the last of him.
Today is Elvis Presley's birthday! Some people may not care about this, but to me, it's like a holiday haha. Elvis Presley is my favorite singer/artist/entertainer, whatever. It all started when I was thirteen years old.
During the summer of 2002, I saw a preview for the NEW Disney animated film, Lilo and Stitch. One of the songs in the preview really caught my attention. It sounded like a woman singing it, but I couldn't tell haha (I later found out it was Wynonna Judd). I didn't hear the song again until I was getting ready for my first day of 8th grade, listening to the oldies station as usual (I've always been an oldies nerd, even at a young age). I heard the song again, but this time Elvis was singing it! I had no idea what the name was, though, and I couldn't even remember any of the words - just the tune. So I thought I'd never find it. I hadn't really been an Elvis fan before then, but Full House was always my favorite TV show, and there are a ton of Elvis references and "appearances" since the character of Uncle Jesse was Elvis-obsessed.
Anyway, a few weeks after I heard the song on the radio, I was birthday shopping with my mom (since my 14th birthday was on the way), and I saw an "Elvis Number Ones" cd and thought to myself, "I bet my mystery song is on that cd." So I told my mom I wanted it. I think she wondered why a 13-going-on-14-year-old would want an Elvis cd for her birthday. I honestly didn't care about Elvis; I just wanted that one song. Little did I know...
So I opened the cd on October 30, 2002, and listened to the first few minutes of every song til I figured out which one was my mystery song. Wouldn't you know it was song number 29 of 31. I looked at the song list - my song was "Burning Love!!!" Ever since that day, that has been my absolute favorite song. And within a week, I had fallen in love with every song on the cd. All 31 of them.
Since then, I've grown a deep appreciation and love for Elvis's music and a fascination with his persona. I've been to Graceland, obtained numerous Elvis albums, met his step-brother (who is a wonderful evangelist and servant of the Lord), and collected countless Elvis memorabilia because I've gotten a reputation for being a little obsessed with the king. Haha.
So today, millions of Elvis fans are celebrating the king of rock & roll and the legacy he left behind. He was such a versatile artist, with music ranging from country to rock to Gospel. And I love it all! He won a Grammy award for his Gospel music. How many mainstream artists would record a Gospel album and put their career in jeopardy?
Elvis loved America and even served in the army. How many of today's artists would leave their career to go overseas and serve their country? I don't know...
Most of y'all can probably tell from my blogs that I really appreciate the generations and decades before us. I don't really enjoy a lot of today's music, and I think that the world as a whole was a little better in previous decades (30s - 70s). But that's just me.
Anyway, I really like what one girl commented on the Elvis Facebook page:
"Dedicated to a man who was born with a beautiful timbre, who could sing any style of music, who brought black and white people together, who influenced style and our way of life, and who brought happiness to countless people all over the world...Happy Birthday, Elvis!"
So it's officially January SECOND 2012, but I haven't gone to bed yet, so to me it's still Sunday the first haha.
I feel like those little kids on the Disney World commercials because I'm too excited (and nervous) to sleep.
BECAUSE I'M HEADING TO DISNEY WORLD IN THE MORNING (4 AM) FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!
...and I'm driving. So pray for me!! Haha. I'm going with Chanelle and Keri, and our friend Carmen works at Disney so we're getting hooked up with park admission and a place to stay. It's a great deal that we couldn't pass up. I've always dreamed of going to Disney World, but my parents never wanted to go haha. GIRLS' ROAD TRIP HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!
This is a packed and crazy week. My friend Mattie gets MARRIED on Friday. I'm so happy for her and excited for her wedding.
Today (Monday) is Alex's birthday, and I wish I could be here for it, but I hope it's a GREAT day!
Oh, and I had a fantastic and relaxing day today (Sunday).
-Church this morning -Barnes & Noble with Zach -Seafood lunch with my family & Zach -Back to Barnes & Noble with my family to get calendars for the new year haha -Took my sister to see Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. It's our annual tradition to go see a movie together, just the two of us, on New Year's Eve. But since we went to the HPU basketball game yesterday, we went to the movie today. It was a great movie, and I LOVE taking Ashley to movies and spending time with just her. We ate popcorn and drank Coke and just had the best time with the simplest things. I almost cried. haha :) -After the movie, we picked up Zach and stopped by the bowling alley where the church youth group was hanging out -Later, me and Zach watched TV for a while. Now I'm here trying to pack, since I leave for Florida in like THREE hours. Oh my gosh. AJSDKJADLKJLKJKJJHFYYUOIY