A Special Day!

“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?    
~Dr. Seuss

 
YES, today is Dr. Seuss's birthday (and I'm going to see The Lorax tonight).

BUT it is also my sweet little sister's thirteenth birthday.

HOW did it get so late so soon?!?


Thirteen years ago right now, I was with my dad and brother and grandmothers and we were all at the hospital waiting for Ashley to arrive.  I was ten years old.

I remember that at about this time, we were in the cafe area and I was munching on a grilled cheese sandwich and drinking pink lemonade.  It was a Tuesday, and I was glad to be out of school.  It was the most exciting day of my life.  I had wanted a little sister for five years, and I had prayed almost every night for one.

{FYI I'm almost in tears right now hahah}

As we waited in the waiting room, I was getting anxious, and my brother has Matchbox NASCAR cars and he was sending them flying around the room. 

Finally, around 4:00 that afternoon (3:59 to be exact), our little sister arrived! We had to get our temperature taken before going in to see her, and my temperature was 99.  My brother's was normal (even though he'd been running around being hyper all day).  So he got to hold her, and I didn't :(

But I got to name her :) My parents had a list of names they liked and I decided I liked "Ashley Brooke." She had reddish hair and blue eyes.  She was 8 lbs 4 oz. 

I finally had the sister I'd been wanting all my life!!!!
(I did love my brother a lot, BTW haha)

Since then, Ashley has become one of my best friends.  She goes everywhere with me.  We share clothes and shoes.  That's what I've always wanted. Last night when I was talking to my granny, she said, "Well, Ashley will be thirteen tomorrow." It hadn't even hit me...I mean, I had just gotten her a gift (an ADORABLE dress), and I knew her birthday was today, of course.  But it hadn't hit me that she will technically be a teenager.  It's bittersweet, really.  I don't want her to grow up, but I'm so excited to see all the things she's gonna do in life.


I LOVE YOU ASHLEY!!!!













eBa




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen