Finding the Right Person

I recently (within the last two years, recently) saw the quote, "Don't worry about finding the right person... Focus on BEING the right person."
I had never thought of it that way.

Looking back on the "On This Day" posts on Facebook is often very painful (embarrassing) for a lot of people. People my age might start to cringe when they see posts from about 2007-2010. I've heard people say so, and I know I do!

Today Facebook showed me some posts I made almost a decade ago
(GEEZE THAT MAKES ME SOUND OLD)
about finding a godly guy. For so long, it was all about FINDING the right person. I was ignorant to the fact that the Lord wanted me to Himself for a while - to grow in Him, lean on Him, depend on Him, to be refined as an individual.

I can honestly say that as soon as I got serious about getting close to the Lord and becoming Spirit-filled (there's a difference between being a 'Christian' and being Spirit-filled), it was crazy how all of a sudden I didn't care a thing about FINDING the right person. I was too focused on BEING the right person and preparing my heart for when that person would come along.


I'm no relationship expert, by any means. Many of you are familiar with my 'failed' attempts at relationships. ;) But once I started seeing them as not failures, but lessons/growing experiences/exercises in refinement that God had allowed, then I stopped worrying. I stopped feeling left out or heartbroken and started looking for ways to connect with other Spirit-filled people, strengthening those relationships, and serving God because this alone time was a GIFT from God. It meant I had more time to become what I needed to be - what HE wanted and created me to be. I started seeing this 'singleness' as a gift and not a punishment. It changed everything.
I wouldn't have grown as much in the Lord had things worked out the way I wanted them to.

I still have so much growing to do, Lord knows I do. But I know for a fact I'm where I am thanks to the gift of the season of 'singleness' - a gift that I saw as a punishment before I realized what God was doing in my life.


So, in a nutshell, Facebook's "On This Day" can sometimes be painful or embarrassing to look at, but it can also spark some good reflection on life and growth since 2007 :)












"I will refine them as silver is refined and test them as gold is tested."
Zechariah 13:9

Comments

  1. Whew girl....this is good. I'm so glad my baby girl has ladies like you to look up to, spend time with, learn from, and model. Thank you for the investment you make into her life, and the lives of so many others. Love you much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen