Refreshingly Simple

So I decided to write a post tonight. I haven't posted in a while. Work has been busy. Life has been busy. I got sick last week...

Anyway, I went to get some juice from the refrigerator to enjoy while I wrote, and noticed the grape juice said "refreshingly simple," which perfectly describes what is on my heart to write about tonight. How perfect.

Now I'm drinking my refreshingly simple grape juice, thinking about how the same should be said about our faith in Christ. I read on Friday the part of Mark where Jesus talks about how you won't enter Heaven unless you have childlike faith. That means simple, trusting faith. The kind that children have in the tooth fairy and Santa and Mommy and Daddy.
(The kind Emery has that I will feed her every day and she won't ever go hungry.)

I feel like we get worked up and worry about things that don't matter, therefore wasting our time and thoughts when they could be used in better ways. At least I do.
In our girls' Bible study tonight at church, we talked about how Satan tries to fill our minds with lies and cause us to overthink.
We talked about how as women, we often have FOMO ("fear of missing out") and social media makes it worse.
We talked about how we sometimes think we have to be 'important' for God to use us ('Instagram famous,' popular, etc).
We learned about how God uses simple, ordinary people to do extraordinary things.
We read the story of Jael, a woman in the book of Judges, who killed Sisera to deliver Israel from the troops of King Jabin. She was not famous. If they'd had Instagram back then, she would not have been one to get many followers or likes. She wasn't living in a big city, working a cool job. She just lived in a tent in the middle of nowhere and God used her to help His people.

Thinking about my weekend, it was refreshingly simple. I've been going and going, spreading myself way too thin and trying to be everywhere for everyone. Lately, I feel like I've been convicted with the importance of resting and finding peace in the Lord.
This weekend I got to have meals with my mom and sister, see my students in a play at school and relax by the pool (yes, in February) with Drew, catch up with friends, and take naps. I haven't been able to do things like that lately.

What I'm left with before I go to bed tonight and start another week is this:

--Don't let Satan cause you to overthink and steal the joy of childlike faith. Don't be naive, and don't be gullible, but also, don't let your mind complicate things that God intended to be simple.
--Rest in the Lord. Don't overwork yourself. If something is not adding value to your life and is not necessary, cut it out. Life is too short to stress so much.
--Don't give in to FOMO! Know you are created with a purpose and always strive to be better and have cool adventures, but you don't ALWAYS have to be moving and adventure-ing.
--Don't ever think that God can't use you; He can use you in amazing ways - and wants to. If you just keep an eye out and pray for opportunities, He will present them to you, whether they are serving others, leading people to Him, etc. That's what we were CREATED FOR!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen