Stop Getting Offended!

...That's what I keep telling myself. I feel like I FEEL more lately... like I get ruffled by the slightest comment someone makes, even if they don't mean it in a rude way (sometimes they probably do :)).

TO REMAIN UNRUFFLED (one of our vocab words this week in ninth grade English), I use this little chart from a book we went through in a Bible study I was in a couple years ago.
(The curriculum is L.I.F.E. - Living In Freedom Every day. It's a program from the Church of the Highlands in Birmingham, Alabama.)


"Six Ways to Stay Unoffended by Studying the Life of Jesus"

1. Take the lowest seat.
Consider everyone more important than yourself. Put the needs of others before your own. Strive to please God, not yourself or others. Be the servant, and don't expect anyone to pay attention to you.
(Obv this doesn't mean NEVER take time for yourself or do something that makes YOU happy because if you don't, you get burnt out from serving and neglecting yourself isn't good either!)

2. Always remain grateful.
It changes our attitude, by keeping us aware of God's provision and blessing.

3. Give others their freedom.
Don't try to control others (I HIGHLIGHTED THIS IN BRIGHT YELLOW BECAUSE I ADMIT, I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THIS. BIG TIME!!!). People need freedom to make their own decisions. Sometimes they make good ones; sometimes they make bad ones. Either way, it is their decision.

4. Make decisions that promote life in others.
When someone offends you, it may seem natural to ignore that person or pay back wrong, but Jesus says there is a better way. Choose to speak and do things that reveal the Tree of Life. How they respond is up to them.

5. Trust God to bring justice when an offense comes. 
Vengeance belongs to the Lord. None of us really wants true justice or what we really deserve - we'd rather have grace!

6. Dedicate time to the Lord.
Find refreshing in prayer, Bible study, and fellowship. 
God's presence brings change!!!
(I feel like the more time I spend with the Lord - in prayer and in His word, the less offended I become by other people because I see things in a more supernatural way and realize that EVERYONE will fail me except Christ. Human nature says we WILL fail each other sometimes. Then it's not as personal to me.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen