These are just a FEW things I've learned in my 25 years that I thought I'd share.
(This is the serious list. I'll have 25 not-so-serious ones coming soon!)
1. You can learn a whole lot by talking to an elderly person. Never underestimate someone because they are elderly. They deserve the utmost respect. They are older and wiser than you.
2. If you love doing it, it's not work. And sometimes it's better to take the job that doesn't pay as much if it's fun and fulfilling. Money can't buy happiness and I'd rather make less and have fun working than make a ton of money and hate my job.
3. Don't procrastinate! I still do it, but it's not good. As much as I love the adrenaline rush of turning in an assignment two minutes before it's due, it's really not healthy to be such a procrastinator. Life is much more relaxed when you pace your time and turn things in/get them done early.
4. Be intentional. Enough said.
5. Sometimes the only thing (besides prayer) that can make it all better is Elvis music (okay, for me at least).
6. But a sweet puppy can ALWAYS fix anything. I can have the worst day and go find Honeygirl and hug on her and everything seems instantly better.
7. Be outgoing. Go out on a limb. Befriend people. You'll be pleasantly surprised when someone you were afraid to talk to becomes a lifelong friend. Life is all about making connections with people It's good to know somebody that knows somebody. And of course it's great to have lifelong, invaluable friendships.
8. Dress up often. It makes you feel good about yourself. And when you feel good about yourself, you treat others the way you ought to.
9. Get involved in as many things as you can without spreading yourself too thin. Know when to say no when you can't fit any more on your plate (I'm still working on this for sure). But being involved in different organizations, teams, or activities helps you meet people, make connections, network, and just have experiences that make for a more fulfilled life. Don't sit in front of the tv all day!!
10. Full House and The Cosby Show are the best tv shows ever aired. For a billion reasons.
11. Eat seafood. It's good for you.
12. LAUGH AT YOURSELF. Laugh as much as you can. It sounds cliche, but laughter really is the best medicine. People who laugh more live longer. And sometimes it really just boils down to this: if you don't laugh you'll cry.
13. Speaking of crying, sometimes the best thing is a good cry. Get it all out. Go for a drive by the airport and blast Celine Dion and just cry. It's a good way to detox. And it's NOT good to keep your emotions bottled up.
14. Document EVERYTHING. Blog. Journal. Scrapbook. Take pictures. To quote Safe Haven, "Take lots of pictures. You'll only regret the ones you didn't take." (Assuming you're taking rated-G, APPROPRIATE pictures. You WILL regret taking hoochie pics.)
But for real, I am sooooo glad I've kept a journal and a blog and taken so many pictures that I've filled up memory cards and computers and frozen my iPhone. Pictures are soooo great to look back on. I don't regret taking too many pictures. To me, they are sweet moments frozen in time to look back on whenever you want.
Dressing modestly will get you the right kinda man!
16. Going to the movies is a good escape from reality. No matter how awesome life is, going to the movies will automatically make life even better. Unless the movie is stupid. Or you fall asleep. But hey, at least you got a good nap.
17. Nicholas Sparks books are awesome. So is retail therapy.
18. The best music was recorded & released in the 1960s. Disney and Christmas music are also wonderful, and 90s pop.
19. Start listening to Christmas music around the first of November. Get in the Christmas spirit. How can you ever be upset listening to Christmas music! The earlier the better - Christmas comes and goes before you know it.
20. Sometimes the best place to be is in the wilderness. In the wilderness, God can do what He wants with you. He can mold and shape you into what you need to be. The wilderness might be uncomfortable and even scary. But if you're wandering around out there and everything seems dismal, it's safe to say that God is most likely up to something big in your life!
21. A little faith can go a long way. Pray when you're stressed. Have faith that it'll all be okay.
22. Glitter. Lots of it. Everywhere.
23. It's important to help those in need. We're supposed to do it. It makes you feel good. It makes the person/people you're helping feel good. Everyone wins.
24. DANCE. Dance your heart out. It's great exercise, it makes you feel great, it's good for your mood... I could go on forever.
25. God is GOOD and life is BEAUTIFUL, and it sounds cliché, but everything REALLY does work out for the best, whether we think it will or not. Keep God first, focus on Him, and everything else will fall into place.