Battling Ungratefulness

I'm really surprised at myself and my reactions to everyone's November "thankfulness" statuses on Facebook. I've been borderline scoffing at them, and it's the spirit of ungratefulness in me. Typically, that is NOT my demeanor, and typically I am all about looking for the positives and things to be thankful for, so I'm shocked at myself. Again, I believe it's a spiritual battle, and I believe the best way to fight it is to cling to the Lord and His promises and focus on being INTENTIONAL about being thankful. November is officially halfway over, so for the last half of the month, I'm going to post something each day, but for today, I will post 15 things to make up for the first 15 days of November.


I'm thankful for:


1. High Point.
This is probably the hardest one for me right now, because I'm antsy here. But God has me here right now for a reason. I've fought with a love/hate relationship with good ol HP for a long time now. High Point has my wonderful family and many wonderful friends and my church and schools that shaped and molded me into the person I am today. So many landmarks and special locations to me. I may stray from it and hate it sometimes, but I will always come back and appreciate and love it for what it is and what it's done for me.


2. The ability to see.
The world is full of so many beautiful things, and I take things like my sight for granted.


3. Food.
I joke about doughnuts and Oreos and eat in excess, and forget that many people in the world don't have that luxury. I should be more mindful of that fact and not take food for granted.


4. God's grace.


5. God's love


6. Weakness.
I'm thankful for my weaknesses and areas to grow and improve in, because without those growth experiences, life wouldn't be as rich or meaningful. I'm thankful that those experiences help me better know God's grace, forgiveness, and love.


7. My love of writing.
It's therapeutic, and I'm glad that the Lord instilled this love in me.


8. My car.
It takes me where I need to go and to places I want to go when my soul needs to breathe. Sometimes it feels like I live in it, and even though I've put like 60,000 miles on it and the AC is going out, the Black Pearl is the best.


9. Markers.
I love making my planner colorful every week and grading papers with pretty markers, and they just make life better.


10. My bed.
A couple of my friends posted last week that they were thankful for their bed because it's a seemingly small thing, but a good night's rest determines the rest of your day, so a good bed is actually really important if you think about it, and something that not everyone in the world has.


11. Sports.
Even though I think the US spends too much money on sports, sporting events have been great means of socializing and bonding with friends and family, and I'm thankful for the spirit they add to life.


12. My planner.
I'm in over my head with stuff to do, and I'm thankful that someone invented the planner so I don't have to write it all on my hand.


13. Clean water.
Again, sounds small, but so many countries don't have clean water, and I realized just how important it is to stay hydrated last year around this time when I passed out from dehydration. Since then, I've made a point to drink a lot more water. As I see my empty bottles add up in the recycling, I think about how I have access to that and so many people don't.


14. Books.
I can thank my parents for my love of reading, and books have made my life so much richer.


15. Coffee.
Enough said.








This was a good exercise. I feel more thankful now.










eBa

Comments

  1. My new Erin Condren planner for next year shipped today. I'm embarrassed at how excited I am about it. Ha! I love his and can relate so well to all these items.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Our Busy Schedules Don't Mean We Are Successful