Imagine All The People

Today is the day that John Lennon died, so I decided that my first period would listen to "Imagine," annotate the lyrics, and free write their thoughts about the song.

I was already thinking about it this morning when I was getting ready (USING MY AWESOME NEW URBAN DECAY EYE SHADOW BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS POST - I JUST WANTED TO MENTION IT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE A ROCKSTAR TODAY)
...I was listening to "Imagine" and thinking about the lyrics and how I disagree with most of them, but that somehow, the song still motivates me. 

Why?!

I think I came to a conclusion - As humans, we all want peace. Universally, I think most of us have that in common. Peace on Earth sounds great. Especially at Christmas time. 
Last night at church, it was mentioned in the message that we were BORN with a need for a Savior - someone to bring peace. John Lennon's song is a cry for that, although he didn't exactly know how peace can be obtained.

My students all said that they disagreed with the first four lines - 


"Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky"


*I did not prompt them, preach at them, etc. As a whole, the class decided that if there was no Heaven, there would be nothing on Earth to live for. I thought this was an interesting consensus.*

We had a really great discussion on the song, and maybe I'll talk more about that in another post...

So if John Lennon longed for peace on Earth, but I don't agree with his solutions for peace 
(no heaven, no religion, no countries, no possessions, nothing you're passionate enough about to die for...), then what ARE some solutions?
If I had to answer this question, I would maybe say something like this:



LOVE AND ENCOURAGE OTHERS! 

I've been thinking about this a lot the past couple days. It's SO easy to get caught up in your own daily, BUSY life, and do what you need to do, and not think to text someone and say something encouraging. 
BUT HOW AWESOME CAN IT BE IF WE DO?! 
Thinking about the times when I've randomly received a Bible verse or a "hey I'm proud of you" or "God laid it on my heart to tell you this"... it's just so WARMING, And motivational!!

If someone is doing a good job at something, TELL THEM!
If someone makes you happy, TELL THEM!
If you are thankful for someone, TELL THEM!

Life is way too short to keep happy thoughts and feelings to yourself. 

I finally emailed a parent yesterday with a compliment about her son that I've been meaning to tell her for months, and she said it made her day. 
I WAS LIKE "WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER?!?!"
It made me so happy, too, and motivated me to email more parents and say, "Hey, I'm really glad I've gotten to know your kid this semester."
There's too much hate in the world - let's spread love and encouragement.
You just never know when you'll make someone's day.
God put me in this position for a REASON! What a waste it would be if I keep on getting too focused on the job and don't think to tell kids/parents when I am proud of them!!!

I got an encouraging text this morning that made me cry and I had to turn around at my desk so my students didn't see.
THAT'S GOOD STUFF! That's what we need! So much love.

Let the Holy Spirit lead you. Ask God what He needs you to voice - how He can speak through you.
I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music (obv) and so many songs contain 
"Emmanuel, God with us" 
and 
"The Child once born in Bethlehem is still among us"
and 
"Come Desire of Nations, come! Fix in us Thy humble home!"

Jesus is IN us! He sent His spirit to live in us! 
That's so crazy but so awesome! Take advantage of it!!
LET HIM SPEAK THROUGH YOU!

I'm human. I'm a sinner. I fail daily.
But still, His spirit lives in me and wants to speak through me, and I need to be very open to that.
I need to actively look for ways to love on and encourage others. What do they need to hear? Have I gone through something terrible, but can use it to glorify the Lord by helping someone who's going through the same thing?
Can I send a simple verse to someone and encourage them?
Can I love the people who are unloving because I know they need it most?
Can I agree to disagree with someone and love them just as much as I love the people that share my beliefs?


This was probably completely all over the place... 
Just my thoughts for today, fueled by caffeine and the Christmas season's feels.



"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

Our Busy Schedules Don't Mean We Are Successful

First #WeddingWednesday Post!