Casting Down My Idols

So I've been trying to recognize idols in my life and shopping has always been the obvious one. Duh. I'm doing great with that right now - back in December I made a goal to not buy myself ANY article of clothing until at least March and I've been successful with that so far. Shopping has always been something I struggle with, so I'm proud of myself right now.

One thing I haven't realized is an idol until the other day is...

Boone.


Boone is an idol and I haven't realized it and as wonderful as it is, that's the truth. I've gotten to the point that I'm not even happy sometimes unless I'm there. I'm letting my joy and happiness be conditional, based on Boone. The Lord has made it clear that that is not where I am supposed to be right now, so I don't know why my heart is still longing for it so much. I guess it is because I had such a great time living there and grew so much in my walk with the Lord while I was in Boone. I think I got addicted to that feeling and now I crave it, and if I don't have it I'm not happy.


My pastor in Boone gave a sermon the last time I went to church there that talked about how we are put on the mountaintop to grow, but then God sends us down into the valleys to take what we have learned from the mountain into the valley. We are trained on the mountaintop (sometimes figuratively; this time LITERALLY!) and we leave the mountaintop and put our training to use.


After that message, I felt more at peace with being back in HP. Unfortunately, since then I have become increasingly more homesick to be back on the mountain. It's like i'm fighting what God wants me to do and where he wants me to be and I can't stop thinking about how I'd be so much happier if I was back in Boone (not that I am unhappy but I don't go a day without missing Boone and be addictive feeling it gave me).


What I need to do is make the best of where God has me right now, in this season, because it is definitely for a reason. I need to stop idolizing Boone, and appreciate it and savor it while I am there, but while I am here, I need to focus on doing what God has me here for!

"Forgetting the past and pressing on to what lies ahead"





eBa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen