I'm a Homeowner - Introducing The Lighthouse



So back in the fall I decided that I wanted to buy a house because renting is so expensive. I'd been living back at home with my parents for over a year and wanted a change. I wanted to move to a different city, but just as much as I wanted that, I also wanted to stay in HP. As I looked into buying, it seemed to make more sense, even though I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in the area and despite the fact that "buying" means "permanent" to some people. I decided that if for some reason I wanted to move back to Boone or randomly to Raleigh, I could just sell the house or put it up for rent. Also I've wanted to be able to buy a house all by myself ever since Destiny's Child's "Independent Women" song came out when I was in like fifth grade. ("The house I live in - I bought it; the car I'm driving - I bought it.") So that was my logic. 


Long story short, I looked at houses til they all looked the same and almost made an offer on a townhome but I prayed about it a lot and God closed that door. Finally I found one that I really loved and it fit all my criteria - three bedrooms, clean, no work needed, two stories but compact, AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, A FENCED IN BACKYARD FOR EMERY! I offered $12k less than the value and although it had another offer on it, I got it! I felt good about it since it was such a great deal (instant equity is perfect for someone who might re-sell within a year). 

I decided to call the house "The Lighthouse" partly because I named my car "The Black Pearl" and partly because I love NeedToBreathe's line "Everybody needs someone beside em, shinin' like a lighthouse from the sea" and partly because I want my house to be a bright place where I can host events and dinners and bring people (ships) in from the dark world (a safe haven!). 




Full disclosure: I don't know how I feel about owning a home. Sure, I feel accomplished and good about it. It's beautiful and I love it, but it's really overwhelming considering how busy I already am! The past few days have been emotional for me because I'm so stressed. But I do not regret doing this. I've learned so much through the home buying process. I've learned things I never thought I'd have to learn - I always assumed that when I bought a house, I'd have a husband that would take care of all the nitty gritty details and I'd just go in and decorate. But in the past few years, God has been working on me and showing me that I can do so much more than I've ever considered if I trust Him to guide and sustain me. Through all the struggles, it's been such a beautiful lesson in faith and trusting God during this awkward, limbo-like season of my life. Taking it all one day at a time! 








eBa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen