"Time Flies" - A Re-Post From Memory Lane

This is actually from a Facebook note that I came across while going through my FB timeline for a trip down memory lane. With all the graduations that happened yesterday, and the fact that my high school graduation was six years ago today, and the fact that I'm just feeling nostalgic and emotional as usual, I decided to re-post some old gems - the ones that deserve another read.
 
This one is from June 18, 2010 at 3:55am.
 
 
Some things never, ever change.
 
......................................................................
 
 
My baby brother graduated high school almost two weeks ago. Why is this so hard for me to grasp and deal with? I always knew I was an emotional (to put it lightly) person. I've always had nostalgic tendencies, to say the least. But ever since Michael graduated, I've been a nut case. I just feel so old now, and I know that we've officially finished a chapter in our lives and are beginning a new one. I'm just adjusting, that's all. Adjusting to change.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna post the speech that I gave at the senior banquet at church, with a few things I will add in as I feel the need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On April 23, 1991, I got a little brother. I was two and a half years old. To me and the cat, he was just a noisy little baby. Over the years, he has become so much more. Little did I know, that noisy little baby would grow up fast, and I didn't get just a little brother on that day in April - I got a best friend.

At first, though, we were just playmates. Our mother dressed us alike and we played together because we had to. We would constantly fight and tattle on each other. But we always managed to get along long enough to do mischievous things together. At Granny's house, we ate peanut butter crackers and chugged Coke and had burping contests. Then we'd see how many pillows we could pile on top of each other without suffocating. We drew on the faces in Granny's newspapers and got free Real Estate books just to "decorate" the realtors' faces. We got the number for Crumley and Associates law firm from the TV commercial and called the office and hung up. They called my grandmother back out of confusion. We also dialed random numbers and asked for "Mary" or "Bob."
 
At Grandma's house, we took walks to the farm down the street, rode our bikes, ate popsicles, and played a game we made up called "hide the shoe." We watched Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, Walker, Texas Ranger, and Bonanza. After watching Walker, Michael would practice the Chuck Norris moves on me, and things turned ugly real fast. It was an all-out brawl that Grandma would have the hardest time breaking up. In fact, we beat each other up a whole lot. Sometimes we even clocked each other with brooms, skillets, whatever was at our disposal.

At home, we made tents and played Candyland. After Christmas, if we had a big cardboard box that a toy had come in, we would tape each other up inside the box and roll it violently around the living room, with the other person inside screaming. We were obsessed with Backstreet Boys for a certain amount of time, and bonded over that.

Michael always had trouble pulling teeth, so the Tooth Fairy brought him extra money, which made me mad. He kept his money in a little lock box and used to count it in front of the neighbors. He was the richest kid I knew. (He's still a hundred times better than me at saving money)

Michael has always been one of the few people that can make me laugh until I cry, guaranteed. He's always liked to come up with crazy, hilarious, and sometimes offensive nicknames for people. He's always had a vivid and ridiculous imagination (that I envy lol).

When we were pretty young, we went to a birthday party and some little boy pulled my hair. Michael hauled off and punched him, and if I remember correctly, bloodied his nose. Since then, Michael has been protective of me, even though I'm older. He still checks up on me if it's late at night and he gets home before me to make sure I'm okay. It's always been understood that no matter how much we argued, we'd always have each other's back when it came down to it.
 
I used to make Michael play with baby dolls and Barbies with me. He had no choice. We had matching teddy bears that had names and life stories. I dressed Michael up in my clothes once and took him to the neighbors' house, claiming he was his obscure twin, "Michelle." I painted his nails sometimes, too. Somehow, despite all of this, he turned out just fine. In my opinion, he's turned out perfect.

We obviously argue and fight sometimes. We've called each other ugly and stupid. I was enraged when he got a Jeep just like mine (except a newer one with a sunroof) for his first car. But after awhile, I was proud that we had the same car, and always proud to call him my brother.

He's always been different from the norm and a leader. Our dad always emphasized that we should be leaders and not followers, and it paid off. Michael has always loved nature and the outdoors. He's always appreciated simplicity and the little things in life. His love of fishing is his trademark. And he's the reason why we have the best beagle ever (Honeygirl). He begged for years and years for a dog, saying, "Mama, every boy should have a dog!"

Michael isn't just a younger brother. He's been such a great big brother to Ashley. He wanted to help with whatever he could when she was a baby. And while many teenage guys would ignore their little sister, he actually takes her places with him and his friends. He taught her how to fish (and cut up worms for bait) and enjoy the outdoors. I love watching the two of them interact.

A few years back, I would let Michael hang out with me and my friends like a good big sister should. Now, he lets me hang out with him and his friends. What a blessing. Now we don't just spend time together because we have to, or because we don't have anyone else. We spend time together now because we want to.

Michael has gone through some unbelievably difficult times this year, and sometimes it just seems like life isn't fair. In January, he lost one of his very best friends. I can't express how much it hurt to see him cry. I know he'd have given anything to have Matt right there with him on graduation day, just two seats over. As if that wasn't enough, he lost another friend in May. But he has grown into one of the strongest people I've ever known, and has taught his big sister a lot without even knowing it. I just hope I have been a good example to him as he has been to me. I'm so very proud that he calls me "Sister."
If I could say something to him in the words of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I would say:

"Take your time,
Don't live too fast.
Troubles will come,
But they will pass."

In the words of Rascal Flatts, I would say:

"My wish for you is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big; your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold.
And while you're out there getting where you're gettin' to,
I hope you know somebody loves you,
And wants the same things too."

But by far, the most important words I could quote to Michael would be from Proverbs 3:5-6:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways, acknowledge Him,
and He will direct your paths."
 


I love you Michael, more than you know <3

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
eBa




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

Our Busy Schedules Don't Mean We Are Successful

First #WeddingWednesday Post!