Never Say Never

I said I'd never be a mountain person.

Over the past year, I've realized that it's true what my mother always told me. You really shouldn't ever say never.

Besides the whole mountain situation, there have been at least two other instances in the past year where I said "never," and ended up being proven wrong.

I feel like God disrupts our comfort zone when He feels like we are getting too complacent. Whether it's for a wake-up call or a call to something higher to further the kingdom and cause us to grow, it seems like those "nevers" usually end up happening to us. It may seem like spite at first, but I think that God really has a sense of humor in some cases, but in many, He is allowing us to experience our "nevers" to open our eyes to things we never expected to be able to do. I'll use my mountain example:

I've ALWAYS loved the beach. So much. When I was a kid I was okay with going to the mountains but I didn't particularly enjoy it. All the ear-poppin' on the way up got on my nerves and it was cold and there wasn't any sand or salt water. My dad and grandma were the mountain people in the family. The rest of us loved the beach. I still do. But in Boone, something happened. A spot in my heart opened up for the mountains. A piece of my heart was taken by Boone. It's as if God was saying, "I know you better than you know yourself, and I knew you'd love it so much here if I could get you to take the risk and move here." And then it was so clear! And He allowed me to grow in Boone in ways I didn't ever think about growing. I became part of an awesome community of believers and gained a new perspective on things. I know I talk about it all the time, but looking back, the experience is surreal. And if I had just stayed at HPU for grad school because I wasn't a "mountain person" and I was super comfortable in HP, I would've missed out on so much. Like, I really can't bear the thoughts of life without Boone now. God did so much to me and did so much work on my heart when I was in the mountains. And He continues to! I go back as often as I can. 

The other "nevers" I mentioned don't have as clear outcomes yet, but I'm starting to see how I'm growing from being proven wrong. And when the time is right, I can share those.

So I guess the point of this is that you should never say never... but then again it's okay if you do because God will use that to prove to you that you CAN (and will) do the thing you think you cannot / will not do. He may just turn your little comfort zone upside down to grow you in ways that will further His kingdom and carry out His plan for you.

So keep your mind open about what could happen in your life - some of the best things that come your way could be the result of going through things you didn't plan on going through!





eBa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen