Welcome to the Future

This picture of my dad's mother and father is probably one of my favorite pictures ever. 


Every time I see it, I think of one of the verses of a Brad Paisley song:

"My grandpa was in World War Two
He fought against the Japanese
He wrote a hundred letters to my grandma
Mailed them from his base in the Philippines
I wish they could see this now
The world they saved has changed, you know
'Cause I was on a video chat this morning
With a company in Tokyo


Hey, everyday's a revolution
Welcome to the future"



Thinking about the events of this week, I know it seems like we've made so much progress to take a "step back," so to speak. But I cannot help but get goosebumps when I think about the many men and women (including two of my uncles)
who have fought endlessly to ensure that we do have a choice and certain freedoms that can't be taken away. America is not perfect by any means, and we still have so much to work on, but we HAVE come a long way since the picture above was taken (1944). 

Today I'm thankful that I got to know my grandparents and that they instilled in me a love for Jesus and for our nation and for other people, and placed value on hard work. 

I'm thankful they worked hard to create a family that would be successful and honor the Lord, no matter what was going on in the world.


Happy Veteran's Day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Love Story

First #WeddingWednesday Post!

Things Unseen